Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Job Advertisements For Theorists and Experimentalists In Physics Today Apr-Jun 2012

This is a follow-up to the previous post I did in counting the different number of job advertisements in Physics Today. This time, I've included the job advertisement that appeared in the June 2012 issue.

So here is the job distribution:

1. Number of jobs looking only for experimentalist = 25
2. Number of jobs looking only for theorist = 7
3. Number of jobs looking for either or both = 21

Again, I've tried to not double-count, i.e. if I recall seeing the same advertisement for the same position in an earlier issue, I do not include that a second (or third) time. So I'm trying to count the number of unique jobs being advertized.

Additional note: a lot of jobs that are included in #3 (i.e. seeking for either experimentalists or theorists) are often temporary teaching jobs. I decided to include them in the count even though one may not consider this as the start of a career.

Zz.

No comments: