Monday, October 15, 2007

The Physics of Urinals

I kid you not!

If you think I've dug to the bottom of the trough for this story, you are absolutely correct! :)

Still, think about it. It requires quite a bit of knowledge of physics to design a urinal with minimum splashback, especially when men can be sloppy! :)

American Standard has been making urinals for 160 years, and its design and engineering group does "a tremendous amount of work" to ensure optimal splash patterns, says design director Gray Uhl.

Uhl's staff employ "mathematical formulas, fundamental geometry, and run both computer models and physical tests" to ensure minimal splashback, he says.

A parabolic back wall is optimal, and most American codes require a urinal to protrude 14 inches from the back wall to the front of a urinal.


Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go wash my hands.

Zz.

No comments: